Monthly Archives: July 2012
Freshening up after a long day at the beach before heading for a bite to eat with family or friends can be a breeze if you have the right stuff. I always keep a “after the beach bag” in the trunk of my car so that I’m prepared at all times. The contents of the bag are simple. Fresh towel, shampoo + conditoner, facial towelettes, toothbrush and toothpaste, hand sanitizer, lotion, and a few simple cosmetics. Everything is inexpensive because it’s sitting in a trunk everyday and things get left behind or borrowed and not returned. When it’s time to switch out cosmetics, i opt for travel size products that I’ve received through gift with purchase or inexpensive purchases.
Here’s a list of the contents of my 2012 summer “after the beach bag”:
1. VO5 shampoo + conditioner (Not meant for a deep lather but a quick run through and rinse to refresh the scalp and hair)
2. Fresh towel (If you don’t have this, you will be toweling off with the towel that was laying on the ground)
3. Yes to Cucumbers Soothing Facial Towelettes (I’ve used facial cleanser as well but this is easier and quicker)
4. Surfer’s Salve (This is an all purpose product. Love this stuff. I also carry this in my everyday bag. Good for lips, dry skin, cuticles and bug bites)
5. Travel toothbrush and toothpaste (I will use this if I can do so discretely)
6. Clinique moisture surge (This can be used everywhere including your face)
7. Cosmetic bag includes: (eyelash curler, Lancome Definicils mascara, Lancome Le Crayon Khol and Dream Bouncy Blush) The mascara gets changed after several months of use and the eyeliner gets sharpened frequently. Fingers are used for smudging the liner and applying blush. I do not share these things.
8. Hand sanitizer (Super important because beach bathrooms have so much germs and there’s no antibacterial soap readily available)
Two fragrances I’ve been using most of this 2012 summer season has been the BCBG MAX AZRIA FRAGRANCE SHIMMERING BODY LOTION and the BATH AND BODY WORKS ENCHANTED ORCHID BODY LOTION. Typically I will purchase a lotion fragrance first before investing in a perfume just to make sure I like it before spending the high price tag of perfumes. I’ve been using the BCBG lotion for a couple of months and I’ve fallen in the love with the strawberry/cherry/musk scent. It’s perfect for everyday use. I will be purchasing the perfume in the next month or so to go along with the lotion. I’m surprised I like the enchanted orchid lotion. Normally I dislike anything florally but this lotion has a soft floral scent with a berry background note even though it doesn’t state it in its description. I’ve been using it mostly at night because the scent is a little strong and tends to linger on my skin longer than the BCBG lotion.
Pardon the cloudiness in both photographs. Hawaii has been feeling the effects of 3 hurricanes that started in the South Pacific and have been down graded to depressions that have been passing the islands last week and this week. Hopefully the clouds will part soon and the sun will show itself.
I have 2 bags from MARC BY MARC JACOBS. The first bag I got, I used for a year straight and the bag looks almost brand new. It’s made of nylon which makes it easy to clean by using a little soap and water on a cloth. The leather handles have remained strong with little to no sign of use. My second bag has been a bit of a disappointment. It’s made of genuine leather. I’ve been using it for 7 months straight since receiving it during the 2011 holiday season. The handles on the satchel started to show signs of wear in its 6 month of use. I’m almost afraid to use it anymore because the gold is wearing away so quickly. Maybe it’s the color I chose or the type of handle that is on this bag. All I know is I love it but I’m reconsidering my next bag purchase from this brand.
This summer season I’ve been using two sets of sunscreens. The first set is made by SUN BUM. I’ve been using this on days when I’m at the beach for 2-3 hours or less with little time spent in the water. The second set is made by COPPERTONE. I’ve been using this set on days when I’m at the beach all day with lots of time spent in and out of the water. I love both sets. Sun Bum smells great, works well and is paraben free, hypoallergenic, oil free/ PABA free, won’t clog pores and is anti aging. Sun Bum does require reapplication immediately after swimming to prevent sunburn. Coppertone is a brand I’ve been using for many years. The Coppertone Sport high performance ultra sweat proof spray is my favorite product. It’s waterproof, sprays at any angle, goes on clear with little rubbing required and works against sunburn with 2-3 reapplications in an all day sun exposed/prolonged swimming period. I’ve tested this product 5 times since summer started and it really works.